Friday, September 23, 2011

There is no particular order to the photographs in today's Blog. I got the one last night at dinner. Today we are on Patmos.

The Island of Patmos is best known as the place where the exiled Theologian John wrote the last book of the New Testament, The Book of Revelation. The island is only about fourteen square miles, so it doesn’t take much time to get around it. I had the good fortune to get lost from a group from the ship... on the way to the Monastery of Saint John. I wandered around for awhile and came to a locked door with a sign in Greek in English which invited me to ring a bell (a bronze bell about three times the size of an old fashioned school bell. I rang the bell once and waited. An elderly nun in long black habit came with key and let me into a centuries old chapel. I was grateful to be somewhere with no other tourists. The lady in black habit smiled all the while, and I smiled back said my thanks and went off up the hill to find the big monastery and perhaps connect again with Margaret and the group. What a place this is. We went to the chapel in the cave where St. John is said to have had the vision and where he wrote his famous Book of Revelation... then into the Monastery of St. John. The museum there has an El Greco... amazing.





I guess it's obvious that I am fascinated by doors. There is always the mystery associated with them. Who knows what's going on behind any door you see...




No comments: