My Country, ‘Tis of Thee I Sing
1. Everybody talks about health care reform. President Obama is doing something about it. The Affordable Care Act, the actual name of a program detractors of the President’s work “Obama Care,” removes restrictions on pre-existing conditions, makes health care more affordable for small businesses, raises the age at which children can be on their parents’ policies, removes lifetime caps, and much more.
The effort is consistent with the core teachings of the world’s major religions. Who could possibly not want better, affordable health care for all citizens?
2. President Obama has had to find ways to end the war in Iraq, war he did not start. He is on target to bring America’s involvement in Afghanistan to an end.
3. President Obama is plain-spoken about his opinion that women should have access to free preventative health care. Of the approximately six million women in the United States who get pregnant each year, thirteen percent lack health insurance according to the American Pregnancy Association. President Obama is concerned about those women and is about their children.
4. President Obama believes in equality for all people. He signed the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help women get equal pay for equal work. He worked to repeal the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.
5. President Obama is promoting and investing in clean energy jobs. Finally.
6. President Obama supports education by giving more flexibility to No Child left Behind and by making college aid more available.
7. President Obama thinks millionaires and billionaires should pay their fair share of taxes like the rest of us. How can anybody object to such a proposal, especially those who are millionaires or billionaires and have or can get whatever in the world they want that money can buy?
8. President Obama inherited one of the worst economic messes since the Great Depression, yet 2.6 million private sector jobs have been added in our economy since he was elected. Indications are that the economy is slowly improving, a prospect that Republicans in Congress are resisting because their stated goal is to prevent the President’s reelection by blaming him for the economy disaster that he didn’t cause. They blatantly resist any programs that will speed economic recovery.
9. I voted for president Obama and I will vote for him again. In this election cycle I will work even harder than I did last time because the alternative to President Obama’s being in the Executive Office of the United States of America for another four years is unthinkable.