Thursday, September 08, 2011

Two days before we leave for a three-week trip to Greece and Turkey, I am still wrestling with myself about which camera(s) to take. I am trying to determine if it’s just plain foolishness to leave at home the bigger (and heavier) Nikon professional camera and take only the small, very light, almost inconspicuous(until I hold it way out in front of me to take a picture because there is no view finder) Sony. I decided to take the little camera to St. Paul’s Cathedral on Fifth Avenue to see how it performs in a place where people from Greece or Turkey might go in San Diego to take pictures of a significant building. St. John's Church on Polk Street and St. Joseph's down the hill on Third Avenue aren't as photogenic as St. Paul's. It would have seemed that St. John's would be the logical choice of places to go because Margaret and I will be visiting the Isle of Patmos where St. John spent some time. We will visit the Monastery of Saint John there as well as the Cave of the Apocalypse where he is said to have had the vision which he described in The Book of Revelation. But the exercise today was all about cameras not about saints.

I got these photographs at the Cathedral this morning. I doubt that the bigger camera could do better. Click on the images to see them larger. At the moment that I am writing this, I am thinking I’ll take just the Sony... if I don’t chicken out at the last minute just as we are walking out the door to go to the airport Saturday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are spectacular and you could always do a little photo shop later when you get home.

As you know I live in Pt Loma and the Navy is sending loud jet after jet out over the ocean and the sound is deafening. I suspect you might be hearing them where you are.

Have a marvelous trip and above all be safe..ML

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip you have planned! I've only been to Athens and Thessaloniki. (Briefly, in 1983, while on a three-month Eurail Pass.) A grandson spent some time in Turkey and I always worried that he might be arrested for drugs! He's now in Hong Kong, where he's been for several years.

I look forward to many great pictures, whether with the Nikon or the Sony. Helen