Monday, September 19, 2011


Our little sailing ship stops at small villages on small islands... much more flexible than the gigantic cruise ships. Today I walked to the ruins way above the town... a town in which there are no automobiles... Monemvassa. Miracles do happen. I was alone after climbing for forty-five minutes. I decided to use my little walking-stick/monopod/tripod and take a picture of myself. I set up everything, took off my hat, decided a the last minute to take the camera bag from around my neck... I set the timer, took the pictures and gathered up not quite everything. I left the camera bag lying in the grass. I didn't realize I had left it until I got to the bottom of the trail. Not willing to do the forty-five minute climb again, I thought I'd never see it again. Back on the ship a fellow whom I had seen at the top asked me if I'd forgotten a camera bag. I got it back.

The experience of the town and the ruins high above would have been worth the loss of a bag, so I felt as if I'd had the great experience of the place free... and indeed, I remembered how much of what I experience is free. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Rajesh said...

Miles, the photo of yourself... please upload them as well :) I am so happy that you have having such a wonderful time. All my prayers and wishes are with you.