Monday, November 14, 2016

At least Two Americas


Today is the seventh day after the election, and I've got to stop thinking the day will come when I will think there is a clear way to handle the election of a clearly inadequate person to the office of President of the United States. The day hasn’t come when I rise in my thinking to a level that I’ve been able to achieve in the other elections of my adult lifetime when other weak persons have been elected to the high office.  I keep looking at Donald Trump in his public appearances since his election thinking I will be able to see the humility in him that some of my friends say they find hope in him.  It hasn’t happened to me.  I am hoping for 
more, but I admit that I am expecting his performance to be almost totally inadequate.  His appointments of the people who will be his closest advisors seem to be unable to break out of their partisan ways of seeing the world, especially the people of the United States.  Reince Priebus as Chief of Staff isn’t a surprise, and he is likely to attempt to see America as the divided nation that it is, and he is likely to attempt to try to avoid offending grossly the people whose political positions are different from his own.  The appointment of Stephen Bannon as Strategist to and for the President is alarming.  Bannon has shown himself to be a white supremacist and bigot. There is nothing in his history that gives an indication that he may change.  According to The New York Times, the short list of people being considered for his cabinet includes only three women, Kelly Ayotte, Jan Brewer and Sarah Palin. 

Take a look at Spurs coach Gregg Popovich’s response to Trump’s election:


http://enewspaper.sandiegouniontribune.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=eab845d9-b335-4b2d-a6d8-4832ea91164a 







No comments: