Saturday, November 19, 2016


Balboa Park this morning:  a mime was in his place all dressed in gold clothing and mask and hat and I found myself wondering about his politics.  I wondered how strongly he feels about his political attitudes, and I wondered if I would be willing to demonstrate for a political idea to an extent that this man assumes every day...  a way of looking and way of being in order to make a few dollars in a day. Our country needs people who are willing to take a stand against foolishness, people who will stand by principals of fairness and inclusion.  I wonder what the next four years will be like in this country for people who have been unable to be included among those of us who are privileged, those of us who have acceptable race, religion, education, sexual identity, and all the other approved ways of being human. I watched this man and admired his willingness to try something as unusual as his mime act to get enough money to buy what he needs to get through the day and week and year.


No comments: