Friday, October 30, 2015

I had decided to get my BLOG writing done just before supper...  I had gone through, as I occasionally do, a folder from long ago in which I have deposited verses I've written, and I had already found a poem I wrote in 1990... looking back at looking back... so what did I do!  I put the poem in the Blog, and during supper Margaret asked me if I had seen the spider today... She said he/she/it had something in its mouth.  I grabbed my camera and went outside to see if it still had something in its mouth.  It did.  I look a picture and added it to the pictures I posted today. If you know what is going on with that spider, let me know.  Keep in mind that the poem has nothing to do with the spider (or maybe it does and I just haven't discovered what it is).



Love in Summer

He had felt love,
or something that seemed like love,
long ago when the world was all greens and blues
and summer was one endless day.
It had happened as they rode a ferris wheel
late in July at the county fair.
The warm summer evening 
smelled of ripening peaches
and popcorn.
The music took them round and round
and up and up and up
until once in the middle of the ride
their rocking seat suspended them for a moment
at the very top of the ride high above the carnival.
She held his hand tightly,
and there with the bright lights shining up from below
and the music of the merry-go-round drifting up and around
it occurred to him that he was in love with her.
He hadn’t meant for it to happen,
but he knew he could never go back on it,
that what he was feeling he could never completely forget.
There was no great rush of air
and no angels sang.
It was just the music of the merry-go-round,
the lazy looping of the ferris wheel,
the warm summer night
and her solid presence
occupying space.






No comments: