Monday, October 05, 2015


I Expect to be Astounded

Knowing that looking in the other direction offers little comfort,
I tell myself to look forward and expect the day to be interesting.
Whenever I grope for meaning, for validation, for vindication
looking backward at all the places I’ve been and things I’ve done,
there is never enough satisfying evidence in the scrapbooks I keep.
Hot winds sweep out of the twisting tunnel of time
blowing memories like dry curled leaves through deserted streets.
No one is there and I can’t be sure anybody ever was.
Photographs prove something happened once to somebody
with everybody standing all in a row smiling beneath the tree
but I learned long ago that the camera is capable of mystifying tricks.
So I mostly forget, look ahead, and expect to be astounded.






No comments: