Saturday, July 12, 2014


The little new camera is packed with software to make photography easier and more interesting.  I have no complaints.  Today I actively addressed an issue that is more of a caution than a complaint.  Finally a pocket camera that really fits in a small pocket is actually so small that I’m having to take great care to keep horizon and vertical straight lines from being distorted... tilting ever so slightly, especially when I’m holding the camera in my hand.  It’s not precisely a parallax problem, but it’s something close to it.  Parallax is actually a displacement in the apparent position of an object viewed along two different lines of sight.  The problem is one of angles that distort the lines of buildings in photographic images.  Parallax has meaningful scientific uses, but in photography I like to be able to avoid the distortion.  

I took the little camera and a tripod and a level into son David’s and son-in-law David’s back yard, which is a delightful confusion of lines and shapes and colors, with the goal of keeping lines visually straight that are actually straight while maintaining the  visual integrity of the whole scene.

Parallax is a term derived from the Greek παράλλαξις (parallaxes), meaning “alteration.”






No comments: