Friday, July 18, 2014


The extra bonus I got at the east end of my bicycle ride today (with a lift from the San Diego Trolley on the first half) besides a good visit with Friend Bruce, was a chance to get acquainted with his feathered friend Toby.  For half-an-hour after I got to Bruce's house in La Mesa, Toby mostly hid behind his giraffe-patterned tent with an occasional peek around to see if I was still there. After deciding I wasn't a threat to him or to Bruce, he cautiously climbed onto the peak of his canvas house and waited, I suspect until it was certain I was getting back on my bike to ride away.

I rode back toward San Diego and home on a stretch of University Avenue that was unfamiliar to me. It was a ride through San Diego's united nations.  Along one patch of University Avenue the sidewalk traffic made me think I might be in East Africa.  In one stretch most of the men were wearing the Pakistani Kurta, mostly stripped or white. Not as many women were on the street, but some of those who were there wore full or partial burka. Closer to the city, from City Heights to North Park, ethnic markets gave way to tattoo parlors and bars.






No comments: