Wednesday, March 06, 2013



Margaret and I have spent some time in England’s Lake Country,  and today I was reminded of a visit to William Wordsworth’s Dove Cottage at Grassmere. In San Diego we have a bay, and we have hills, and today we have clouds; so I was about to say I wandered lonely as a cloud; but that’s already been said and somehow the words don’t describe what happens when I go out on my bicycle from our place above Mission Valley... even on a brilliant day like today... and besides we don’t have daffodils.
What we do have are brilliant yellow flowers springing up from clover, and if I squint from a distance and turn my imagination loose, the great spreads of yellow on our hillside at this time of year almost do for me what the daffodils on the hills around Lake Windermere did for Wordsworth when he wandered from Dove Cottage at Grassmere down along the water’s edge.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I tried to squat like that, I would break my knees and fall over backwards. I looked with wonderment at the Chinese squatting on the sidewalks in Beijing, knew I could never do that again, and that was 13 years ago! Good for you!
M.S.

Anonymous said...

They may not be daffodils, but our yellow fields are spectacular...
Roz