Friday, March 08, 2013


Someone asked me today why it is that I find the bark of trees to be interesting, worth photographing, worth studying. Rather than say again what I have said about bark in past blog writing, I said I thought maybe the reason is that tree bark is visually enigmatic, and I am challenged to find meaning in obscurity. I wasn’t certain it was a good answer, but that’s the way it is with enigmas. 

On my bicycle ride later, as I watched a big cloud moving in the direction of home, where I was going, I remembered a line from Shakespeare’s Hamlet and thought I could have given it as answer to the question about why I am interested in making pictures of bark.  In the play when two of Hamlet’s old friends from school show up unexpectedly, he asks them why they have come “to prison hither.”  Rosencrantz and Guildenstern want to know what he means by prison. Hamlet says Denmark is a prison. Rosencrantz asks, “Then is the world a prison?” After a bit of banter Hamlet says “there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it (Denmark) is a prison.”  When I was about five minutes from home, the heavens opened (as Shakespeare would have said) and I got wet.  After I put my bike away and got into dry clothes, I read Act 2, Scene 2 of hamlet and found that it would have been a good response to the question about why I like bark.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pardon me if I have said this before, because I have sure thought this before. Your bark...is art. I mean, I could see these, and many others you have taken, hanging in a gallery, it should be near Balboa Park by the way, with people stopping and staring. Yep, that's what I think.

Anonymous said...

Hey, why not find fascination and beauty in aging skin...tucked into the stretching and scratching, the smooth and the rough is a lifetime of incredible experiences that can only be imagined by people with photo shop hearts!
Bob

Anonymous said...

In the past I had a big panel of your bark pictures on a wall in my cottage.
I think I'll be starting a new batch. I do like them, especially the enigmatic ones!
H.T.

Anonymous said...

I think you are barking up the right tree.
Terry