Friday, March 29, 2013


An Essay in Pictures

I’ve got half-a-dozen cans of worms open right now, but a bouquet of fading daffodils at our house reminded me that another subject for exploration on this BLOG might be the cultural fear of growing old, so let me flip the top off that can.   Most of us who are fortunate enough to have lived long enough to be old have noticed that quite a few younger people have an obvious aversion to old folks... which eventually brings them to self-loathing because growing old is an inevitable consequence of living long... which most people are trying to do.

I found beauty in these “tired old” blossoms when I took the time to look, not just at the edges but at the whole flower.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've captured well the path of all our lives in these photos. After reaching our zenith, we begin to notice the slow, inevitable ebbing of our previous vitality. It first shows in small, almost unrecognizable ways, but it's there. We must acknowledge and embrace the beauty in our being every day. I believe we teach our young how to do this by living life fully with openly displaying our adjustments to physical change associated with the aging process. It's encouraging to me that the very center of the daffodil seems to be the last of its parts to wilt. Efforts to maintain and enhance our lives are fine as long as we do not fall prey your apt term: "self-loathing." You are aging well and with great gusto. You continue to be vital because you embrace life every day. You are such a good role model for those who are younger and within your circle of life. Once again, you've got me thinking about how I can enjoy this day. We never know who may be watching and learning. Ok, Buddy, it's time for our walk.I'll be looking for signs of daffodils in yards we pass. I'm planting sugar snap peas today. I've got spring fever. You should see the beautiful day we have beginning here in Hampton Bays. Wish you were here to walk with us and help plant my pre-sprouted peas. J.M.

Unknown said...

I'm confused by this post, you must know someone who is old, because you may be the youngest person I know.