Friday, March 01, 2013



Searching for Meaning

Fascinated by what happened to yellow and blue stripes in almost unbearable light this afternoon as I drove into the sun across an almost deserted parking lot in Mission Valley, I thought of Stephen Dunning’s poem, “Some Haystacks Don’t Even Have a Needle.”  I’m glad nobody is demanding that I explain why the glare and stripes started me thinking about Dunning and his poem. I also thought of some abstract expressionist artists whose work I like even thought I don’t understand at all what it means. Wandering out across the parking lot taking pictures of what probably seemed like nothing to someone watching, I must have looked like a crazy man. That’s all right.  I’m O.K. with it.  The stripes obviously were supposed to mean something... to signal drivers where to go and when to stop, or not. I stopped my journey home, parked my car, and took some pictures.

Looking away from the light sometimes clears things up.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But, oh! How we need to look to and for any Light we can find in this crazy world we live in these days.
C