Monday, March 18, 2013

This recently painted mural at the corner of Kansas Street
and El Cajon Boulevard seems appropriate for my journal writing today.

Someone asked me if I am trying to make a case for atheism.  I responded, perhaps too quickly, that I am not advocating for or against atheism. My friend just as quickly turned the question back to me, “What then?”  After a long enough pause that I’m guessing he was sure he had me there, I said that I am passionately advocating for freedom of thought and belief.  After having gone through most of today thinking about my answer, I’ve decided to stick with it.  

Are all atheists passionate as I am about freedom of thought?  Of course not.  Some are, but I’m guessing the reactions of some atheists border on hostility when they encounter religionists who refuse to consider any other way but their way of faith. It makes sense that some folks who say they are atheists, like some  people who say they are Christians or Muslims or Buddhists, are hostile to people who don’t subscribe to their belief statements. One of the things I admire about Richard Dawkins, perhaps the current best known atheist, is that he has obviously thought a lot about what he believes and doesn’t believe; and best of all, he expresses no hostility toward people who have decided they don’t agree with him and persist in going on being known as Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or Hindu.  He has quite a lot to say about his determination not to do damage other people.  I’m guessing it would be a pleasure to be his neighbor. I think I would like his company.

I personally identify as a Christian because I like the idea which Jesus promoted that empathy is the primary characteristic of the person who tries to live in helpful rather than hurtful relationship with others.  I am aware that some folks who self-identify as Christians start with a doctrine of hell as their reason for being Christian. I don’t believe in hell as a place, and I don’t buy the notion that blood sacrifice was necessary to save me from consequences of my wrongful behaviors or attitudes or from the “sins” attributed to my mythical ancestors Adam and Eve. The blood sacrifice construct is radically inconsistent with the Christian Gospel.  There is a whole bundle of other expressions of belief absurdly described as the teachings of Jesus.  Genocidal dreams of Christians or Jews or Muslims would be considered criminal and/or the fantasies of mental illness if they weren’t embraced by some religious establishment.  I seriously wonder why the world court doesn’t consider genocidal preaching and teaching to be a crime against humanity and move toward prosecution regardless of its source in a religious context. The continuing forced and enforced closeting of gay people by political groups in the name of religion should embarrass all people of faith.  Granting full citizenship rights equally to all citizens makes sense. Denying full citizenship rights to citizens who are gay doesn’t make sense. When religion is the reason for denying full citizenship to any group of citizens, the denial is not just absurd but particularly ugly.   I can think of few things more absurd than stating that I am given the right by my religion to do harm or to limit the freedom of others.


Yellow meets red
also at Kansas Street and El Cajon Boulevard.


...And just down the street from El Cajon Boulevard
two devils keep watch from the back of a landscape company trailer.

...But the devils don't disrupt the peace implied by this lily,
also on Kansas Street not far from El Cajon Boulevard.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pleasure to view and read.
G.

Anonymous said...

As usual, well said!
D.J.

Unknown said...

I swear, this is where I come to find a bit of sanity. Thank you.