Tuesday, July 05, 2016


WANDERING in San Diego today... I came across tree after tree of magnolias all of them with blossoms.  Of course, I've been seeing them for days, and I photographed them a few days ago in Del Mar not far from Patrick's and Elaine's street. When I stopped near the little park in Del Mar and took pictures of magnolia blossoms,  I noticed that something is missing from that part of town.  There aren't the eucalyptus trees that we have on our hill, and I began to wonder if there is a sociological problem here that needs to be addressed.  Are eucalyptus trees less grand, less up-scale, less socially correct than magnolia trees?  I'll be more aware in the days following this one.  I remember seeing both eucalyptus and magnolia trees in Balboa Park.  Our apartment is one of 334 "units" in a condominium community where, as far as I know, there are no magnolia trees; but there are many eucalyptus trees.  We have flowering fruit trees that bloom in winter.  There are at least two varieties of eucalyptus trees, and we have several melaleucas. Most of the trees on our hill were planted thirty years ago.





No comments: