Monday, July 04, 2016


The Fourth of July… I am glad to be an American.  One of the things an old man is supposed to do in his old age is to worry about his country, so this election year gives me plenty of stuff for worry.  It will be a waste of your time if you tell me that I should be thankful and glad for The Trump guy.  On the other hand, I sometimes find myself feeling glad Donald Trump is doing his foolishness and saying his nonsense, because I keep asking myself how can anyone want to believe him; and then I remember the polls and the reminders that there are lots of foolish Americans out there.  So I worry.

Tonight we watched San Diego fireworks from the La Jolla hillside.  Wow!  From where we sat and stood we could see beyond the San Diego skyline to the scattering of lights in the homes in Tijuana.  I am glad to live so close to Mexico.  I like seeing the signs that remind us as we drive down the freeway that the International Border is less than half-an-hour away.  I like seeing the lights from homes and businesses on the Tijuana hillside.  

Every year at this time when speeches are made about how great it is to be American, I remember moving to Singapore four years after that city and the island surrounding it and being aware that people who are citizens of other countries are proud to be who they are and where they are.  I remember that first year soon after we arrived in Singapore when the people there celebrated the fourth anniversary of their independence from Malaysia.  I remember the speech of Mr. Lee Kuan Yew and his remarks about being free on that day.   I was proud to be in the company of free people on that August 9th, 1969.  I am proud to be an American on this 239th birthday of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  Freedom is worth the worry.



No comments: