Thursday, July 07, 2016


ALL LIVES MATTER

I’m a white man trying to know
what it looks and feels like to go out
into the world as a person of color.
The obvious stacking of the deck
is now and always has been obvious.
I was a little boy in Arkansas 
in a little town which had a good school
for white kids like me,
Black kids went to school in a house
on the other side of the tracks,
not a house built for schooling kids
but a small modest house built for living.
My mother took me there once
to see and hear the kids singing.
What I saw was very different 
from anything I experienced in my school.
Desks were old and rooms were crowded.
Mother and I were greeted and treated
like people stopping in from another realm,
which was exactly what we were… aliens.
I was seven or eight or nine years old.

I didn’t know enough then to understand
why the school was different from mine,
but I wondered even when I wasn’t yet ten
what kind of world it is that makes a difference
between white kids and kids of another color.
I wondered why in the scheme of things
I had been born with a lighter skin color.  
I saw that my Mother could see the difference
between our skin and the skin of all those others.

I don’t remember how the rest of that day went.
My life continued at home with white everything.
I didn’t know scientific reasons for anything, 
but I knew there was something terribly wrong
in the world that sets up white people like me
to have circumstances of living so different
from those I saw that day seventy plus years ago.










No comments: