Tuesday, July 26, 2016


Margaret, Nancy, and I went back to Balboa Park: the Japanese Tea Garden and the Mengei Museum.  Nancy goes home to Maryland tomorrow, so we wanted to get as much of our beautiful park into our schedule as possible.  The Japanese Tea Garden is enlarged and many changes have been made in it since we were last there.  The strolling garden on the hillside in back of the entrance is a wonder of working something beautiful from a very small space.  When the cherry blossoms bloomed in the springtime, I looked over them from the viewing area near the entrance.  I thought it was a good way to see them, but now I can hardly wait for springtime to come again because I can see what I was missing by not going down among the trees

The visit to the Mengei Museum was a reminder that the world is wide and big and wondrous.  It’s hard to believe we once were in a war with the Japanese.  I wonder what was happening with the tea garden when the war was underway and where were these wonderful pots and other Japanese crafts kept in San Diego during the war.  Learning what happened in the early 40s with this part of the Park will be a project that I'll begin.  
















No comments: