Monday, September 07, 2015


You’d think with all those clouds roiling for most of the day in the eastern sky that we would get rain or at least a cool breeze, but it didn’t happen. I sometimes think if I had it to do over again I’d be a meteorologist… not the kind who smiling tells us on the evening news that the weather tomorrow in San Diego will be like today and yesterday and the day after tomorrow.  I’d like to be somebody who understands what is going on in the clouds. I looked it up: “ A meteorologist is an individual with specialized education who uses scientific principles to explain, understand, observe or forecast the earth's atmospheric phenomena and/or how the atmosphere affects the earth and life on the planet.”  YES!  It sounds like something an old retired guy could do for fun.

I have lived in places where clouds mean something.  In San Diego clouds in the eastern sky look promising, but they seldom deliver anything at all, not even a breeze. Today I rode my bicycle up to the highest part of Linda Vista to get cloud pictures.  I looked long and hard at what I once would have called a thunderhead to see if maybe I could see lightening.  I was much too far away from them to hear thunder; but I thought perhaps if I looked long enough at one spot, maybe I’d see a streak of lightening.  Nah…  If there was lightening, I didn’t see it.  

I rode back home trying to remember the words of a poem I wrote once.  I couldn’t find it.  Maybe tomorrow.  I remember that the poem explains things… well, not really.  It says how things are, but it doesn’t even come close to explanation. I’ll try again tomorrow to find it.




No comments: