Tuesday, September 08, 2015



We had clouds again today.  These aren't the same photos as yesterdays.  I still didn't see lightening and I didn't hear thunder; but I imagined it, which is almost the same as seeing and hearing the storm.

I went looking today for the poem I’ve temporarily lost, and didn’t find it.  I found instead something I wrote on Tuesday, December 31, 1990. I tried to remember what might have been going on in my life on that day.  I hadn’t retired yet and was still doing that four-letter-word thing called work, and I would have been getting ready to go back to school after the mid-winter break. I wasn’t a classroom teacher and hadn’t been one for many years, but I never lost the joy of that profession.  It was rekindled in me again today when I saw youngsters in my neighborhood going back to school.  LIFE IS GOOD!

WHAT HAT SHALL I WEAR

Must I choose today
what part I shall play,
Which lines I shall say?
Will anyone care
what hat I shall wear?

I shall grow up
if I have to at all
to be seven feet tall
and shoot balls off a wall
or I may just decide to stay young as a pup.

I’d really like to be a plumber
or in a choir the official hummer
or in a band the only drummer.
Give me a chance to make noise.
I can’t be quiet like the good little boys.

Instead of peaceful homophony
I prefer a little cacophony
and an occasional break with good heterophony
and sweet simple jazz
with razzmatazz.

I think I’d like to climb a mountain 
or even perhaps design a fountain.
I could be a mannequin
or better yet, a paladin
or maybe a wildly roving Taliesin.

If I could only be a judge,
I’d search out and sentence every drudge
and try to give a little nudge
to silly twits who’ve chosen monotony
when all the while they could have selected botany.

I’d like to travel to Mars
then write my memoirs
and stay out from behind bars
unless, of course, for a cause that’s right
I stand my ground and put up a fight.  

I confess some interest in a life that is wicked
as long as in front of crowds I don’t have to get naked.
If possible I’d like to be outrageous
in ways that are generally courageous
without ever seeming the least bit umbrageous.

But what a joy to be a teacher
an indispensable creature
whose most essential feature
is a willingness to change,
is a willingness to change.






No comments: