Friday, August 02, 2013

Luxembourg American Cemetery


Our river ship made its way to Remich, Luxembourg,  this morning.  We left the ship before it docked at Remich to keep an appointment at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial at Homm.  I hadn’t expected to “feel at home” there, but that’s exactly my reaction.  First, it was the familiar American flag that brought a lump in my throat... and then the grave markers, more than five thousand of them... and then the words on the side of a chapel:

1941-1945
IN PROUD REMEMBRANCE
OF THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF HER SONS
AND IN HUBLE TRIBUTE
TO THEIR SACRIFICES
THIS MEMORIAL HAS BEEN ERECTED BY
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA



The ceiling of the small chapel... 










1 comment:

Carol said...

Can't let another message go by without saying hello -- and how very much I'm enjoying your trip from Basel to Amsterdam! I'm making every inch on those rivers with you -- we did the very same trip in 2008! We were with Vantage Travel -- have done several river trips with them and would go again in a blink of an eye if we were still able to travel. So many wonderful, rich memories.

The Luxembourg cemetery and memorial left me in tears -- it was cold and foggy the day we were there, the stones left on the Jewish graves were particularly moving -- they are not forgotten.

Thank you for your gracious patience with the right-wing Episcopalian 'birther' -- we encountered one on our first river trip in the Netherlands -- very unsettling! We have a couple here of the same ilk, I work at being pleasant and non-confrontive whenever we encounter them -- but we haven't asked to be seated with them for dinner more than a few times!

Did you go across the river at Cochem to Bernkastel? One of my favorite little towns on the Moselle -- I have a a fondness for bears, at a distance of course, so found all of them enchanting!

Thanks for bringing so much of that happy trip up to my conscious level again -- now I'll go get my trip journal/album and relive it once again.

Stay well -- love to Margaret -- and safe travel.

Peace
Carol