Friday, August 16, 2013



Here’s what happened...

On my bike I was heading back home from North Park riding north on 30th Street around 3:30 this afternoon, stopped at the corner of 30th and El Cajon Boulevard waiting for the traffic light to turn green, I saw police cars and officers on the sidewalk questioning a frail woman in a wheelchair outside what was once a furniture store... but the sign today announces the opening of some kind of novelty clothing shop.  The woman looked confused, perhaps frightened.  At first I didn’t know if the person in the wheelchair was a man or a woman.  I think it must have been a woman.  She was wearing a soiled night shirt. My small camera was handy in my pocket, so just as the light was changing I got one shot, the first one above.  Traffic was all around me... a line of cars turning right onto El Cajon, and on the left cars starting cross the street.  I rode to the far corner of the street to a Jack in the Box parking lot, set the longest telephoto setting on the little camera and got one more shot before the traffic made anything more impossible.  That’s all I know.  I rode on home wondering what it was all about.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say the same thing......like Trayvon Martin, a neighbor made a different decision .........and the result then was death.....that's all I know about what happened......

The question for me is: John what have you done to know the black community better.....how many friends are black....what groups to you share with blacks....while my church says blacks and others are welcome....how many blacks are full members at my parish....having checked these questions...no wonder I could only say....That's all I know about what happened....

As you know, all my grandchildren are children of color......one of them is gay.....three of them wear hoodies....they are at risk as they walk streets, go to and from school...and each has already been the object of ridicule...that's all I know about what happened.....is a statement I have to move beyond....for like the woman in the picture, she, Trayvon, my grandchildren and strangers...as well as those who I make my enemies are my neighbors.....so no longer can I say.....for my sake and theirs....
That's All I know about what happened...instead...there is Alice, she and I sing in the choir together and love apple pie.....she is one fine sister....
J.B.

Anonymous said...

A rather strange event. Now you have picked my curiosity as to what happened!...that seems an over the top numerous amount of cops for such a looking frail and helpless woman. Hum......
Anielle