Tuesday, August 27, 2013



When I was “taking” the pictures for today, I began to wonder why a daylily is called day lily, and obviously I haven’t been paying attention and haven’t been guessing what the name implies.  I found out from somebody who knows flowers that typically a daylily blossom lasts no more than 24 hours after it achieves full bloom.  It begins to wilt after one night of robust life. We don’t notice how short-lived it is because the one that was full and vibrant yesterday has already shriveled after just one night and one day of often astonishing beauty.  Today’s beauty is typically replaced on the same scape (stalk) by another beautiful flower.   It’s a metaphor that shouldn’t be ignored.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love seeing your pictures and reading what you write!

Anonymous said...

If this flower is a metaphor, then it is a metaphor for my life, which seems like it has whizzed by at alarming speed: my life as a daylily!! Ben