Monday, May 23, 2016


Today has been one of those very good days of sitting and watching (until mid afternoon).  The hummingbird nest has become so crowded that Mama Hummingbird doesn’t sit on the nest at all during the day.  I’ll watch tonight to see if she sits on it at night.  I don't think she will fit into nest.The chicks are over two weeks old, and I’m thinking this is the week when the nest will be empty altogether by Saturday.  The older chick is bigger than the younger… considerably bigger, so I’m thinking the smaller may have hatched a couple of days after the first one.  The younger one is smaller now, and I am concerned that there isn’t enough room in the nest for two  chicks fully developed into adult hummingbirds.  


The process isn’t completely new to me because I've checked the Internet for information and I watched another nest in front of the apartment last year; but today I’ve decided to watch the nest to see how often the mother bird comes back to feed the chicks.  She has come back every twenty to twenty-five minutes.  The chicks hear her and put their beaks up open and she puts her beak into the open beak of the chick.  She feeds both chicks every time she returns to the nest.  It’s an amazing process to watch.





  

No comments: