Saturday, May 07, 2016


The homeless population in San Diego at last count is 8,742.  We’ve had a rainy couple of days. but considered with the reset of the U.S. population, this little Southwest corner of the country has ideal weather for outdoor activities.  Homelessness is not just a matter of being without a roof overhead.  I can’t imagine what it might be like to have no closets or bathrooms or a million other little conveniences that those of us who have homes accept without a thought of what life might be like for us if we suddenly didn’t have them.  Not all of the people who are begging on the streets are homeless, but I am told that most of the people who are asleep outside in public places in the middle of the day have no other place to go for that activity or for any other things they want to do. Every time I see a homeless person sleeping in the middle of the day, I wonder what should be done by the government to take care of them, and I wonder how it is that in the best place in the world to live there are people who don’t have basic needs met. 

We are in the middle already of an election for leader of the world’s richest country.  We hear people explaining their plans for the country.  I am waiting to hear from a politician a plan to end homelessness.I believe it can be done. Tomorrow I will go to church with people who have homes.  I will hear religious talk.  I probably will not hear talk about addressing homelessness in San Diego.







No comments: