Tuesday, May 31, 2016



TUESDAY…The younger bird was left alone in the nest from the middle of yesterday.  It has been flexing its flying muscles.  I don’t believe it had tried its wings before it was left alone in the nest.  I don’t know if it was hatched one day after the other… or perhaps two days after the older bird had hatched.  It is definitely smaller than the first one, but the Mother bird has been back throughout the afternoon to feed the one left on the nest.  I haven’t seen the other young hummingbird, so I’m assuming it has gone off to make its way in the world by itself.  I didn’t see it at the moment it left the nest, so I don’t know if the Mother bird was there to encourage it to leave.  I have been paying attention to the one left behind.  I’m assuming it will leave the nest Tuesday or Wednesday. 

--------- 

This morning the mother bird is feeding more often the single baby left in the nest.  I am wondering if she is getting ready to show the bird that today is the day to leave… or perhaps that she is getting the weight and strength up for tomorrow.  This little chick was hatched perhaps two days after its sibling.  Perhaps it’s only my imagination, but this little chick seems less mature than the one that left yesterday.  Sitting on the nest, testing wings, knowing it must leave soon, it seems much less secure to face the hazards of living in the big world.  Its feathers are not as well developed.  I'll watch carefully tomorrow.





No comments: