Tuesday, July 07, 2009

On a walk across central Trondheim, Norway, last Friday I was surprised to see about a dozen bright red posters announcing “A TRIBUTE WEEKEND FOR MICHAEL JACKSON.” Trondheim, Norway? I confess that I didn’t know what to make of it... this international outpouring of respect and grief for an entertainer whose appeal I never really understood.

Today, I think I am beginning to get it. He was in life a mythic figure, and he will remain larger than life long after his death. I confess that I found it hard to look closely at him. He had permanently fixed to his face what seemed to be a clown’s mask. I wondered what had happened to the talented, young Jackson Five boy who looked “natural” like the rest of us. It’s a mystery that was not made clear to me as I listened to a string of entertainers and politicians eulogize him. What was made clear was that I had underestimated him. He was important. His story is classic, an exaggeration the way his life was an exaggeration. His story is the stuff of great literature. It is bigger than life. It is a classic tragedy. It is appropriate that people all over the world, from Trondheim, Norway, to Los Angeles, California, should acknowledge and respect what I had failed to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerral and Margaret, thanx for the stream of pics from far away Norway. always like to give them a second going over. You have become a master of the lens.
I was interested to read your comments re michael Jackson Memorial. I have always liked his music, dance and originality. What happens to peoples heads when they become larger than life is anyones guess. That he was larger than life is an understatement, he will go down in history, my history anyway as the bigggest entertainer ever. That the media vilified him crucified him, and hung him out to dry is pathetic but reality at its best. Danielle and I cried for two hours watching the celebration of his life. At one point I held Lucas'urn in my arms and tried to emite some warmth and comfort into his soul. Death and tears are no longer strangers and we can accept that, because it is our destiny and somehow comforting to know that all those who have passed can finally meet and share good times.
Luc was 10 in 1987 when Michael stared to wear that glove, and yes my son had one too. Characters.
with love Michiel and Danielle