Wednesday, August 03, 2016


This afternoon I went outside to wait for my friend Marcus Owens to come to our house with a stained glass hummingbird.  When I got to the top of the stairs, a hummingbird, probably one that I had seen before today came and made herself comfortable on a branch of a tree at the top of the stairs.  I dashed back downstairs to get my camera.  Before Marcus came I got pictures of two hummingbirds.  I'm guessing what I witnessed was a mating ritual.  I can't tell a male from a female, but I'm guessing the one with the fatter, crocked beak is the male...  I don't think I should go into why I think that.  The slim, prim bird is probably the female.  She looks more like the one that produced two baby hummingbirds in a nest outside my window this year.  I can tell the stained glass artist doesn't know anymore about humming birds than I do.  The beautiful bird dipping its beak into the red flower isn't giving any signs to a novice like me or the artist about the sex of the bird.






No comments: