Wednesday, August 22, 2012


North Park
Across the street from Fatboy’s... well, not directly across the street, and it’s not just any street... it’s the famous, the notorious University Avenue... the street that runs all the way from Mission Hills to La Mesa. The place I’m trying to call your attention to is catty-corner across and down University to the east from Fatboy’s.  It’s called Splash... down the street from Wangs which is around the corner from a whimsical mural.  You can't miss it.  Splash is a wine bar.  They make a good sangria... But that’s not the reason I went there this afternoon.  I went there because my artist friend Clyde Yoshida’s paintings are hanging all over the place. I probably should say that the very nice young woman at Splash says it’s not a bar but a lounge.  Splash Wine Lounge.  The category is “wine bars” if you search Google for it, but they insist it's not a bar.  It’s between Ohio Street and Grim Avenue.  I have no idea... and I don’t even want to know... why it’s called Grim Avenue... There’s nothing grim about it... The question that came to mind as I looked at the street signs this afternoon was why Ohio is a street and Grim and University are avenues... And why not boulevard?  Why can’t Grim be a boulevard and Ohio an avenue? ... and why isn't Splash a bar? Is it a size thing? Does size matter in this part of San Diego? I don’t think so... there’s no appreciable difference in the sizes of Ohio Street and Grim Avenue. Whatever!  You can see Clyde’s paintings at 3043 University Avenue.






No comments: