Thursday, August 09, 2012




Photography for very young children is a new experience for me.  We’re exploring the community... and today we took a field trip to a donut shop.  Before we went to the shop, the kids had to come up with some questions to ask the lady in the shop... questions about her job and about her thoughts about the community.  It couldn’t have been better.  The proprietress of the Gold Donut Shop on Adams Avenue in Normal Heights is as good a role model for children that I could possibly find.  She was as interested in them as they were in her.  One of the questions:  When do you come to work every day?  She answered that she comes at one o’clock in the morning because she makes the donuts and other pastries and she wants them to be freshly cooked for her customers.  She stressed the importance of doing her very best to serve her neighbors.  

Another question:  Do you like to eat donuts?  “Yes,” she said.  “But I can’t eat a donut every day. It wouldn’t be good for me.”  I suppose I should be embarrassed taking the kids to a "sweet" shop.  The lady saved me by explaining that she knows donuts are special and that it wouldn’t be good for our health if we ate too many of them too often.

She gave each of them a donut... their choice.  I came back later to pay her for the donuts, and she said that it wasn’t necessary.  I put the money in her tip jar.  Wonderful lady.  Life is Good!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Jerral. Did you have a donut too?
Clyde

Unknown said...

Great story, love the questions and the answers. The owner seems super, nice of her to give each a donut.