Thursday, August 16, 2012



Any way you look at it, life of any sort at all
is a miracle... take the tall African tulip tree,
for example, an exaggeration, a  loud boast
by Nature that anything it wants to do it can ...
The tiniest hummingbirds aren’t intimidated 
by the sudden explosion of outrageous red;

So why, I wonder, in a world with people,
especially children,  and animals, like
elephants, are left hungry and orphaned and
alone after shameless neglect and abuse
by creatures still alive who look a lot like me.
Where’s the fairness? Where’s the justice?

Oh, now I remember the bit about survival
of the fittest, but that’s an explanation and
no excuse for obvious blatant unfairness
that obviously has been built into the order, 
the natural order, I think it’s called, justified

By religion and said by devout religionists,
who look and sound embarrassingly like me,
to be included in the natural order of things.
Then I remember that flowers and parrots
and aggressive hummingbirds even and
snakes that scare and bite and kill to live 

Aren't designed by the Natural Order to live
lovingly with all other living things on earth.
But I am... I’ve been given a gift of reason,
some would say a curse of understanding,
and know what damage I do to everything.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jerral, you are a rare bird, enlightened and kind hearted.
Terry

Anonymous said...

Glad you mentioned the hummingbird. I almost didn't see him. Love it!
Clyde