Monday, February 07, 2011

Oh, I know, I know... The picture is an owl and the poem I made a couple of days ago is about a hummingbird; but it's the best I could do... and not so bad because the owl came to our house last week from Susanne in Amstelveen, The Netherlands. She made it herself, which makes it very special indeed. And I like this owl. It has attitude... personality. But it's not a bully... that's clear.I Know a Hummingbird Bully

A Hummingbird bully I know
looks like a flying matchbox
that feints and darts and dives
around the hanging free food
on my porch he thinks is his.

Even birds five times his size
buy the bluff and fly away fast
not looking back or returning
to check out the little fellow
to see if his fierceness is real.

His long sharp menacing beak
is positioned slightly up and out
in reconnaissance readiness
until an intruder into his air space
triggers his launched response.

On attack he flies up and aims
the beak down toward soft neck
of even the largest interlopers
keeping well back out of sight
to give an impression of might.

With bullies it must be the way
they’ve learned to camouflage
the reality that what they are
isn’t adequate to protect what it is
the world is trying to take away.

1 comment:

Rajesh said...

Jerral,

Wish you could catch the bully in your pictures.