Thursday, February 03, 2011

"OH, SAY CAN YOU SEE... BY THE DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT... that homelessness is not a memory but a present reality in America. In conversations with homeless people, I have learned that the reason many of them sleep through the day is that they are afraid they will be assaulted and the few possessions they have will be stolen if they sleep at night; so they try to stay away at night to protect themselves.If you know San Diego, you'll recognize the Old Globe Theatre complex next door to the sculpture garden where I got the pictures of the homeless man sleeping. Strolling through the park with Justus, from Almstelveen, Netherlands, I felt a self-conscious need to find a way to explain how a country like the United States could have so many homeless citizens. My explanations weren't satisfying... even to me.

1 comment:

Rajesh said...

Jerral,

The problem with large democracies is that it is "Too Big To Care!" and Nobody loses their job!

Thought provoking pic and writing. I hope more and more people read this one.