Tuesday, August 11, 2009

WE SING AMERICA
Members of Congress are out in their districts speaking to their constituents this month, Democrats promoting the President's Health Care plan and Republicans generally explaining why they can't support the plan. When Democratic Congresswoman Susan Davis spoke to a group in my district tonight, the oddest little group of citizens showed up to heckle. I was strangely affected by the demonstrations perhaps because of what I had been doing for most of the day. I drove up to Los Angeles with my Buddy Ed Jirjis, his cousin and his aunt to get a visa for her to visit her sons in Germany. They are meeting in Amsterdam in September. Of course, I couldn't understand most of what was said as we drove because the conversation was a mix of English, Chaldean, and Arabic. The spirit, however, was easy to understand. Joseph and Aunt Naima have recently come from Baghdad to America... both are overjoyed to have Green Cards and Joseph, his wife and children are working toward full citizenship. Ed has been an American Citizen for many years now, and he is quick to tell everyone what a great country American is. Tonight I was glad they were not with me as I wandered among the crowd that gathered to exercise their right to free speech in our free country. I would have been happy to have them see most of the people who were laughing and having a good time being together in the summer night. They were a quite large crowd of cheerful people spread out on the east side of the street in front of the Hillcrest Community Center. They sang in support of health care reform chanting the familiar, "Yes We Can." A small, distinctly fearful and unhappy clutch of dissidents gathered on the west side of the street. I almost felt sorry for the sad people railing against Obama and his plans for the nation. How pitiful they seemed... and bitter... and unhappy! There was no joy at all in them. How sad!



I, TOO SING AMERICA
by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

No comments: