Wednesday, April 13, 2016


Berlin on Wednesday:  Today I revisited several places in the old German city that I had seen years ago.  Germany is incredibly modern today, but the old signs of war and conflict are still there everywhere.  The memorial church left as a bombed out shell in the middle of what was West Berlin is a good argument against war, and the small memorial tiles left on the streets where people once lived before they were taken away to concentration camps and death are grim reminders of evil that slips into the lives of people almost unnoticed by neighbors. The great Brandenburg Gate, built in the 1780s and during the Cold War separated West Germany from East Germany moved me today.  The German U.S. Embassy sits in what was once East Germany just inside the East side of the famous gate.  Today especially I was reminded to hope that America will not advance Donald Trump’s program to become a leader of American Government.  No one likes to hear a comparison between Trump and the old dictator Hitler, but unfortunately much of what Trump says in his campaign speech reminds me of Hitler’s blindness to the evil he brought to a nation not even a hundred years ago. I saw a water clock today that reminded me of Trump's speeches.  We live in the age of computers and electronic images, not an age of old fashioned ideas based in discrimination and tired rhetoric about "making my country great again." We have enough trouble in the world without building walls that some future generation will have to tear down.  





No comments: