Monday, September 17, 2012



Jeremy is leaving later this week to begin his freshman year at the University of California at Santa Cruz. I shall miss him.  Watching him grow up has been one of the great pleasures of my life. Now he is a man, a very fine man.  He is a diligent student, an honest scholar, so he will soon have little time for anything but his studies.  I am confident that he will get education as well as certification for his life’s work.  I look forward to his sharing with me new and interesting ideas as he is introduced to them. 

Today he sent me a paper by Marita Sturken and Lisa Cartwright which they subtitled “An Introduction to Visual Culture.”  The title of the piece is “Practices of Looking.”  Jeremy is an artist, and in my retirement I like thinking of myself as a photographer; so we have common interests besides family.  The pictures I post on the BLOG today were taken after I read the section of the paper that deals with the myth of photographic truth. All of the pictures were shot with my iPhone using a new attachment that the Davids gave me for my birthday.  The device fits neatly over the phone’s camera lens.  Turned one way it becomes a fisheye lens.  Turned the other way it is a macro lens.  Amazing technology.






1 comment:

Rajesh said...

my best wishes to Jeremy. The concept of photographic truth is well captured in your shots. IPhone camera seems to be almost as good as your other device. Happy clicking