Friday, April 10, 2009

FRIDAY, MARCH 10
The dandelion,
impossibly beautiful,
a brash miracle.


PASTORAL LETTER FROM MY FRIEND ROBERT SMITH

Easter Letter to Capital District Pastors

At the extended cabinet each Tuesday we use the lectionary for the following Sunday. This week’s Gospel included the story of Mary Magdalene asking for information about the body of Jesus in the garden of Jesus’ tomb on that first Easter morning. Along with the story of his appearance on the road to Emmaus, it’s one of my favorite resurrection stories. I’ve always focused on Mary’s recognition of the risen Christ coming after he calls her by name, a moment of profound significance for anyone! But his past Tuesday that’s not what touched my spirit or caught my attention. Instead, it was Mary’s statements: “They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.” And, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.”

On Tuesday, Mary’s statements made me wonder if I have somehow participated in taking away the Lord so that those who truly need to see the resurrected Christ can’t. I’m honestly impressed by the many cathedrals we’ve built to honor the presence of God in this world, and in many of them I’ve always liked seeing hundreds of burning candles indicating a prayerful relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ. But stepping outside of those cathedrals and churches often shocks my senses as I become aware that in spite of their impressiveness and symbols of a deep spiritual relationship with God, what goes on inside rarely changes what is outside our very doors. The Gospel of Matthew records that Jesus said that through those who follow him he would build a church and the gates of Hades would not prevail against it. Where is that church? Where is that love? Where is that compassion? Where is that mercy? Where is that justice? Where is that Christ? You and I are builders of the current church. Are we significantly changing the world or using the power for good given us by Jesus? That’s why I’m afraid that in some way I have taken away the Lord of all life and the world filled with those people who, like Mary, are desperately seeking him cannot find him.

Yet, even though Mary’s statements convict my soul, it’s a story in which I also have a sense of comfort. Mary did not find Jesus; it was the Resurrected Christ who found Mary. She was searching, to be sure, frantically searching, and even though he was standing in front of her she did not recognize him. He found her, what an incredible moment, talk about unconditional grace! He then goes on to find those who are hiding, find others on a lakeshore,, others on a road, others, I’m sure, who are not recognized in any of the resurrection stories. And those who are found by Jesus begin to build the early church, lay the cornerstone for us, and give us a footing for the future.

I think that’s why I go to Russia. It is the garden in which Jesus can more easily find me, the road on which he walks next to me, and where I am the least distracted and can more directly experience Jesus in all that awesome resurrection power. Working with and on behalf of the poor always puts Jesus in our midst, doesn’t it? Opening our hearts can also open our eyes. And of this I’m sure, if our life’s direction is in a variety of ways a searching for Jesus he will come to us through one of those unlikely people, even a gardener, even a stranger.

I pray that in the midst of a very busy schedule, in the hurrying around preparing multiple worship services while also everything else that needs doing during Holy Week, in your exhaustion, you don’t begin to feel that your Lord as been taken from you. I pray too that your routine is interrupted by a stranger or gardener who joins your journey for a time, who may need your love, and who then becomes the Risen Christ who calls you by name. Happy Easter. Bob

No comments: