Friday, January 27, 2017

I went through my picture file and found a photograph that I hadn't used because I somehow think I need permission to show somebody's face in a picture I'm passing around.  I got the picture below several years ago. I'm hoping the gentleman lying on the ground in Balboa Park, if he is recognized by someone or if he sees himself that those who see him and he himself will be proud to be associated in thought with the  poem by Emma Lazarus.

I have hoped in the week since Donald J. Trump was inaugurated into the top job in America that I had been wrong, that the office would change the man, that the person who seemed self-centered, narcissistic would be humbled by the great office, by the great responsibility.  Now I am frightened by what he has done already and by the prospect of what he may do in the weeks ahead. 

I have always been proud to be a citizen of the United States of America.  I have believed what Emma Lazarus said...for all of us. The 120 day suspension of the immigration process for all applicants for citizenship to the U.S.A. is an affront to me personally.  Over the years I have come to believe that I am a citizen of the world.  The President has put me out of the country I love.  He shames me.  He makes me ashamed of what America will seem to be, of what I will seem to be, if the larger world believes this man who is president is thought to be who we are. 


                             Emma Lazarus, quote on the Statue of liberty

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless,
Tempest-tossed to me
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!







No comments: