Wednesday, February 08, 2012

While a friend and I were talking today, our conversation turned to politics and then to religion. He knows that I attend church, so he asked, “Why do you suppose it is that often the least forgiving and most bigoted people, including some politicians, claim that they are “born again?” What in the world are they talking about? What do they mean when they say they are born again?

I could have tried to dredge up from my memory the Bible verses that use the born again language, but I didn’t try because I’d probably have got it wrong. Instead I told him something that I’d read earlier today... not in the Christian Bible but in a book that my daughter Nancy gave me a few months ago. I’ve been taking my time reading through the verses compiled by Jack Kornfield in Buddha’s Little Instruction Book. My morning routine includes reading one verse before I settle down to three quarters of an hour of yoga and meditation. The meditation part of the morning ritual is just a matter of sitting quietly and breathing correctly after the yoga. I try to focus my attention for a moment on the verse from the Buddha teachings. Yesterday’s verse: “As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life.” Today’s verse: “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”

Kornfield says these are saying from the sermons of The Buddha. The Supreme Buddha was Siddhartha Gautama, regarded as “the awakened one” or “the enlightened one,” who lived and taught five hundred years before the time of Jesus’ ministry. I think Siddhartha Gautama and Jesus were on the same track.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what is the ancient Chinese word for "Amen?"

Unknown said...

Love this, and what a great way to start each day. ....be where you are..great advice.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Jerral. I'm taking a class in "Mindfulness," and I'm trying meditation. Have you read Gilead? I love this book and copied many of its gems. Sherry

Anonymous said...

Stunning picture. I agree with the Buddha, "Live in the Moment." I say that to myself often during the day. Here's a pic I took the other day. There's color loss because I'm sending a smaller file and it looks like some droplets got on the lens. Aside from that nature tends to put on a show that only when awake you can enjoy. Taylor

Anonymous said...

New Testament "Born Again" or reportedly what Jesus said was that we all have a physical birth and then at some point we humans need to be born in "spirit" too.  A Spiritual Birth.  Then there is the sense of each day is a new day to be born gain too, which I think you referred to. This is also "Biblical"  Work out your salvation daily also means be wholesome each day, live each day to the fullest and in full of zest and healthy ways.  Another big religious word.  Sanctification.  Be alive to the moment and Grow.  And of course if these are the Truths of the universe we live in, they will have been expounded upon by the "spiritually aware" humans all through human history and cultures. Dorothy

Rajesh said...

Thought provoking. Born again for me would mean a reload of the software in my mind... may be a different OS :)