Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I'm working as a volunteer teacher for a couple of weeks in a program for kids in the Normal Heights community of San Diego.  No, Normal Heights isn't a name I've given to the district. The kids are extraordinary... beautiful... curious... engaged..., and If that's normal, then "Normal Heights" is an appropriate name for their community.  I'm thinking, however, that these are extraordinary, much better than normal, kids. I'm glad to be in the same world with them.  I'm guessing the region got its name when a teacher-training college called a "normal school" that later became San Diego State University was located in the next community to the West (University Heights).  I found my picture for the day as I drove down Adams Avenue in Normal Heights this morning.  The car in front of me clearly belonged to a person after my own heart. If you can't read the bumper stickers, I've printed them below the picture.

KEEP CORPORATIONS OUT OF POLITICS

“MY COUNTRY IS THE WORLD, AND MY RELIGION IS DO GOOD.”

SINCE WHEN DID UNQUESTIONING OBEDIENCE TO CORPORATE INTERESTS BECOME POLITICS?

MASS MEDIA BREEDS IGNORANCE

BUILD LEVEES; NOT BOMBS

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

TO STOP TERRORISM, FIRST STOP TERRORIZING THE WORLD.

RELIGION IS WHAT KEEPS THE POOR FROM MURDERING THE RICH

Health Care is a Right NOT a Privilege

Those who would sacrifice freedom for temporary security deserve neither. -- Benjamin Franklin

revolution begins with an individual

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigtrants, and aliens, the more you control all of the people.” --Noam Chomsky

HONK IF YOUR RELIGION MAKES YOIU INTOLERANT

EAT LIKE YOU GIVE A DAMN

SUPPORT OUR TEACHERS

listen to children

UNITE AGAINST RACISM

TOLERANCE... believe in it

I’m straight for equality.
www.straightforequality.org

sweatshops=slavery

BOOK NERDS RISE UP
www.leftbankbooks.com

Don’t support wars fought over economic interests

Fascism: Concentrated Private Control of Wealth, Control of Information, Massive Investment/Manufacture of arms and military equipment, suppression of labor movements... Sound familiar??



No comments: