Saturday, September 02, 2017


Search for myself... On a stroll up 4th Street East in National City where I live, I walked behind a long shadow of myself, and although the word "selfie" seems not quite the appropriate way of thinking of what I was about to do, I went ahead with the operation.  My mobile phone was the only camera I carried with me, so I took it out and snapped the image which I downloaded onto my computer.  The usual distortion of the image caused by the angle and distance makes my head seem smaller than it is, but looking at the shadow picture, I can identify myself.

I've liked Joseph Albers' work for a long time.  I especially like his series of paintings which he identifies as "Homage to the Square."  At least 30 years ago I first saw the actual painting that hangs in the San Diego Museum of Art.  I seem to remember seeing the painting at one of the museums in Washington D.C.  It occurred to me then and again when I saw it in San Diego that the artist was searching for himself when he painted it.  It hangs in the gallery beside the Frank Stella painting which I posted yesterday.

Trying to make sense of works of abstract art, especially abstract expressionist works, I have come to the conclusion that all of the examples that I can call to my mind, are examples of a person searching for himself/herself.  I am unwilling to commit myself to the notion that all art is done as a journey by an artist who is trying to find who he/she is, but the more I think about it, the more the notion seems to make sense.  I'll give the idea more thought.  Perhaps I'll even do some research, including talking with artists, with the people who "do art."

               

No comments: