Sunday, August 10, 2014


At the corner of Thorn Street and Third Avenue in San Diego, in a part of town not known for prize-winning architecture, stands perhaps the plainest apartment building in the city.  It is so plain, it’s lines are so precise and its color so gray-white, that I would not be surprised to learn the architect was inspired by Piet Mondrian, whose work, by the way, I like very much.  The stark plainness of the building gets my attention every time I pass that intersection.  Today I decided to let it be the photo du jour.  First United Church’s soaring sanctuary gets everybody’s attention.  Mondrian would be happy with the stained glass window.  He’d have liked the olive tree.  When I let my imagination have its way with me, the stained glass window reminds me of two of Mondrian’s “Boogie-Woogie” paintings and the olive tree reminds me of his “Gray Tree.”


No comments: