Thursday, January 09, 2014

This project to find a way Toward a Personal Theology is even harder than I had supposed it would be. Because I am not a professional theologian, I'm not thinking and writing for publication or even for teaching but simply for my own need to understand more clearly why the church, and the people who constitute the church, so often seem to me either to  misunderstand the clear teachings of the Gospel or are willfully ignoring and even working against the teachings of the Gospel. The most blatant example of such ignorance or misunderstanding is the resistance by many church people to the Gospel's imperative  to respond to the needs of the poor.  Equally strange, considering the Gospel's stress on the centrality of love as the greatest good, is the resistance by many church people to the idea that same gender people may love each other and commit to each other in the same ways that heterosexual people are encouraged to do. This project is obviously going to take longer than I had imagined it would be.  I will continue to add paragraphs from the project as they are developed.  In between the days when project paragraphs are ready, I'll post pictures and comments about whatever... "The Way I See It."

Titian and Caravaggio painted their versions of Ecce Homo...
This is my friend Clyde Yoshida's holiday gingerbread man.

ECCE HOMO,  BEHOLD THE MAN
Whether one believes man was created in God’s image or that God was created in man’s image, a good place to begin asking questions about God is with man.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer preferred to use the word person.  In his groundbreaking Sanctorum Communio (Communion of Saints) which was written as a dissertation in 1927, then first published in 1930, and published posthumously in German first in 1960 and then in English in 1963, Bonhoeffer explains why we must begin with the concept of the person in the search for  God.  He says "the person is identified with self-knowing and a self-active mind, involving truth and reality.  The person has command of his own ethical value, possesses the dignity of being able to be ethical, and—so far as he is a person—having to be ethical.” 
The Bonhoeffer book that most people, including pastors, know is The Cost of Discipleship in which he seems reconciled to the probability of his own imminent death by the gestapo. He explains what it means to remain faithful to message of the Gospel of Jesus in times when governments are hostile to it and determined to eliminate Christians who decline to abandon their faith.  That book was published in 1937.  Two weeks before U.S. soldiers liberated the camp where he was imprisoned by the Nazis,  Bonhoeffer was hanged at dawn on April 9, 1945. On that morning he was stripped naked and led to the gallows.  In Berlin his brother was executed on April 22, and his brother-in-law was executed on April 23.

Before his death Bonhoeffer suggested in his Letters and Papers from Prison that a time might come when Christianity will become religionless.  He speculated that human beings may evolve to a point when they will no longer need a metaphysical God “up there.” He doesn’t suggest how he thinks the Christian establishment, the Sanctorum Communio of his earlier dissertation will shake off its 2000 metaphysical years or exactly what the Christian life might look like without the church, but his emphasis clearly is on reverence for “the person” as a demonstration of reverence for God. The message is clear:  If you want to find God, you will find God in people not in a metaphysical place out there somewhere in the Cosmos... and unless you know how to look, not even in church.  Ecce Homo!

Mime this afternoon in Balboa Park
Homeless man at University Avenue.  I took the photograph in 2008.  
He is white, but today I pulled out that old picture and photoshopped the image of him colorless, lost in a world of color.  
I can report that I still see him occasionally near the same area, 
and he seems less lost. 
On the day in 2008 when I took the picture
he declined to talk with me.  These days we exchange greetings.
Another homeless friend with whom I shared coffee a few times several years ago
at my favorite coffee shop in Mission Valley. He said I could call him Butterfly.
This picture, too, is from those days.  He disappeared from Mission Valley.
One day I realized I hadn't seen him for several weeks and felt a sense of loss.
I wonder what happened to him.  He was clearly bright.
Homeless man asleep midday on Fifth Avenue...
2009
This is a picture I took this past Christmas Week.  The man, clearly not homeless, 
was reading in a loud voice from the Bible.  
I asked if I could take his picture.  
He didn't stop reading but shook his head yes.  

3 comments:

John Baker said...

Hi Jerral,

I too know less about the theology things then before. I do know that poverty is a direct result of white privilege in this country......Republicans and Democrats have had more then ample time to address this issue......povety, 1 out of every six people in this country live below the poverty line.

Living in the grasp of white culture, the church has enveloped itself in this white culture resulting in a white washed Christianity....created for the white eye. When people claim Santa was white and Jesus was white, know white culture has dominated them......even the season of Christmas is a tool of white economy.

Bon Hoffer was courageous, but reading several of his writings he held very rigid beliefs....his thoughts on gays, on abortion, and so on are chilling.

There is a way to the early church if white folks can come to grips with their own privilege in this country.......they then will have a chance to see the source of creation in a new and different way.....that is what the Camino de Santiago offers.....Try reading Paulo Coelho's book the Alchemist....

The solution lies within our heart.......and as a friend said the other day......all we need is on the other side of FEAR.....if we NOTICE.....



Si se puede mi hermano...

agape'
JB.

D.J. said...

I trust you are writing this with a great deal of tongue in cheek, perhaps to make a point. Or maybe I have gone to more churches than you in my search for my own personal theology, e.g. Jewish synagogue, Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, Buddhist, Hindu, Greek Orthodox, Zen, Pentocostal, oh, and let me not leave out the church of free love, drugs and rock 'n' roll, upon which I base my adamant statement "there is no supposedly Christian church on this earth, inasmuch as none of them follow the teachings of Christ, but rather in his name have twisted his example and teachings to justify their own ends to do their will instead of His upon this earth.
However, I have no opinion or position on this matter. LOL

Sent from my cellular phone.
David M. Johnson

Taylor H. said...

My dear Jerral,

Speaking as a professional theologian, I have things to say to you. The first is what I have said all along to you over and over, and that is "keep on keeping on!" You, my friend, have insights that come from God that all of us need to hear. In the old days the prophets, who, by the way, at one time were all lay persons, were given messages from the Divine Source for the good, welfare and benefit of the people. Today we have the internet and blog spots, like the Jerral Miles one, and believe you me, your voice is needed and is being heard. I hear it over and over again and am alwas encouraged, challenged and given new insight and inspiration.

Your questions in your opening comments are mine as well--why do Christians not get it? Part of the answer for me is discovered in the very words of Bonhoeffer that you quoted--"to remain faithful to message of the Gospel of Jesus in times when governments are hostile to it and determined to eliminate Christians who decline to abandon their faith." Both secular government and religious powers were in opposition to the Divine message of love and justice, both in the times of the prophets, who were stoned, and in the time of Jesus, who was crucified, because they all had the audacity and the courage to stand against those powers.

One of my favorite Bible verses, that has become a life verse and direction for my journey is found in Philippians 2:12b--"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling..." Trying to understand these mysteries and to add our voices and weight on the side of justice, righteousness, truth, peace and love is what I see you doing and what I want to do.

Talk with you soon, my friend. Love to you,
Taylor