Wednesday, January 09, 2013



IF HONEST CONFESSION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL, perhaps I can do some good for myself by describing something I did (not everything, not all, dear reader) when I was eight or nine years old.  My family lived in a small Arkansas town that had an unpaved county road and railroad tracks running through it, a once-upon-a-time-but-no-longer prosperous lumber mill, a Baptist church, a two-room school house on our side of the tracks and a little one-room school house for “colored people” on the other side.  Even before the age of ten I had learned from my Mother that the main thing wrong with that idyllic village and with the whole Southern part of our country was the segregation of “our kind of peope” from the “other” kind.  Mother insisted that people were people, and that was all we needed to know about it.  It wasn’t until later that I understood the significance of having a mother who understood that all people are the same and wanted her children to understand it.  

If my Mother were living today, I’d go for a special visit to learn what she thought about guns.  She didn’t own guns.  My father did, and he bought a BB gun for me for Christmas when I was eight.  He also took me ‘possum hunting, which was a matter of meeting up with a few of his friends in the woods late at night, all of them bringing along their ‘coon dogs.  I figured out without his having to explain it to me that it wasn’t a real hunt because they didn’t bring guns.  They liked to hear the dogs barking off in the woods when they had found and treed an animal.  The men never left the little clearing in the woods where they parked their trucks and cars.  Of course, I didn’t understand when I was a child all the nuances of those meeting of men in the woods, but clearly the objective was not to bring home food for the family. 

My father didn’t give me any instructions about the use of the BB gun beyond saying that I should never under any circumstances point it at anybody even when I thought there weren’t any BBs in it.  He set me up in the back yard with some tin cans on posts for target shooting.  

Now for the honest confession.  I remember as if it were last week the day I went for a walk with my gun down by the railroad tracks.  A once-a-day thrill in those days was watching and listening to the steam engine train as it went by on its daily run.  I heard the train coming a good way off so I got off to the side of the tracks even before the train came around the bend into my sight and waited for the thrill of smoke and steam and a wave from the men in the cab of the train. I glanced up into a tree on the other side of the tracks and saw a blue bird perched there as if it were also waiting to see the train go by.  On impulse, I raised my BB gun, aimed, and fired.  The bird tumbled to the ground, and I scrambled across the tracks well ahead of the train and found the limp, blue body in the grass.  I dropped the gun and picked it up the little bundle of feathers.  The little fist-sized bird was still warm, and there was red blood seeping through the blue feathers. Horrified, I didn’t see the train go by.  I remember it only as something approaching in the distance from where I had committed a terrible sin. Holding the dead blue bird and crying, I turned away from the tracks so the men driving the train wouldn’t see what I had done. I buried the bird in soft, damp earth and went down to a creek to wash the blood off my hands.  I was unable to clear away from my mind the awful reality of having killed something for no reason at all except that it was there, alive and perched within my sight in the oak tree. I went home and shoved the BB gun far under my bed.  I didn’t take it out again. I don’t remember what happened to that BB gun.  I didn’t tell anybody what I had done. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this deep story. I have my own.
Taylor

Anonymous said...

True story? I feel terrible for that little boy – and love him dearly!
Elaine

Jerral Miles said...

Definitely true story... exactly as I told it.

Jerral Miles said...

Definitely true story... exactly as I told it.

Jerral Miles said...

Definitely true story... exactly as I told it.

Anonymous said...

I read the story below – it is so interesting! I think that every boy did this thing in the Youth. I remember my father’s story about shooting a sparrow in the spring. He was so sad about killing a bird, who lived through a severe Russian Winter, enjoying the first sun shines of the Spring.

The same about me. When I had a pneumatic rifle I shot at a black bird and wounded it. I was so depressed about it, seeing the bird moving hardly. We gave it some food and water and then we had to come back home from our dacha and left the bird there. I do not know if it survived or not, but I wish I had not done it…

Never ever did I kill any kind of birds or animals and will never do it again. All beings must have right to live.

If guns were used only to protect families from outlaws this would be acceptable. But sometimes the guns are used in the wrong way. It is hard to say whether people must be prohibited to have guns or not… my family does not own a gun except for a pneumatic. If we had a gun I am sure it would be used properly. But if a government said my country suffers from guns not used properly and people would be prohibited to use guns I would understand it and live without a gun. If statistics says the ban helps to preserve at least one life a year than it is worth the sacrifice (if I can call it this way).

With Love,
Anton

Anonymous said...

Confession is good for the soul....."honest" enjoys a wide range of views...
J.B.

Anonymous said...

This is a holy writing. Thanks for sharing that confession. When I was young, I signed up for a correspondence course in taxidermy. It cost me $1 a month for 10 months. I received a paper booklet every month with various instructions. I asked a boy if he could get me a bird for my first subject. He shot and brought me a bird, still warm. That was the end of my taxidermy. Ginny

Anonymous said...

"NOUGH SAID.

NO., I will add that -- and I really hadn't thought of it, even with all the discussion in the news about gun regulations -- when I was in junior high my dad took my brother and me somewhere to shoot a b-b gun at targets.
What is it, anyway, that leads parents to guide their children in these practices? Your poignant writing about the little bird triggered my limited memory of my own experience with my dad and a gun.
H.T.

Anonymous said...

"I think many a young boy has had a version of this same experience and many have done what you did--push the gun as far away as possible and never use it again. Others, alas, never see that broken, bloodied body of a small song bird as a thing of sadness, not to be repeated. Thanks for sharing a poignant moment in your past--I can always count on you to set me thinking."
Susan

Unknown said...

What a story. Hey, boys will be boys. But it does show us some insight into what I have come to know as what makes Jerral Jerral. Does that make sense.
Yep, I too have a similar story, but I was older. I'll share that with you sometime.
And, I think I would have loved your mom.

Anonymous said...

This just makes me want to give you a hug and tell you “It’s OK.” I always tell my kids – you will make mistakes, bad decisions. But, as long as you learn from them and don’t repeat them, it’s OK. We’re humans and we’re not perfect.
D.T.

Anonymous said...

I too am saddened for good reason,and becoming ashamed of the USA. I feel there is no hope for my great grandchildren.
Estelle

Anonymous said...

Right up there with putting "a little" gasoline in a bowl of milk to see if the cat would drink it. It killed someone else's cat. At least I heard a cat died in the neighborhood.
No confessions from me. xom

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that. There were never guns in my home but I have always lived in the city.My family was into boating/sailing and guns aren't very useful there, thank goodness.

Also living in California, I think, made having a gun less likely.
I shudder to hear some of these people talk about this issue.
ML