Friday, February 03, 2012


My BLOG writing, which is what I once called journal writing, often springs from something in my world that bothers or excites and encourages me... something like religion or politics or social justice; and most of the things that excite my imagination fall into one or the other or both of those categories; but what prompts the impulse in me to think and then to write occasionally has absolutely nothing at all to do with religion or politics or social justice. I admit that I am easily smitten by the things I see as I wander around the world. That wonderful arched monument in Mumbai called The Gateway to India wows me every time... and the Eiffel Tower, Whoa... and the Grand Canyon, Amazing. But those three doors on the south side of University Avenue were enough to bring me to a screeching halt as I peddled my bicycle up the little hill to the east of Texas Street. I had noticed them on other occasions, but not the way I saw them today. I’m trying to figure out why the picture I took of them today pleases me so much. Maybe it’s the humility of those doors in the photograph... or the subtle, not-at-all green paint. I like the combination of gray and green and the glass reflecting faintly what’s happening outside... or perhaps it’s the smudged, broken sidewalk... As they say in California-speak, “Whatever.”

...And just up the sidewalk from the three doors there is a girl standing forever in the dingy entry-way to 2589 University Avenue next door to Tobacco Rhoda’s. She looks so real that I’ll bet half the people who drive by wonder why she always wears the same pair of jeans and a violet blouse and why she is wearing sunglasses always on the shady side of the street. The girl is life-size and embossed... real enough. Wow!

...And that stained glass church window not far away from the three plain doors and the embossed girl won’t ever make it into the book of beautiful ecclesiastical artifacts... but I like it. I’m impressed that the artist who made the window didn’t succumb to a suggestion that it would be a good idea to try to get John 3:16 onto the blank pages... or ten Roman numerals to represent the Ten Commandments. It’s a book open to blank pages. Isn’t that enough? The metaphor is clear enough to me... And the artist didn’t give in to wild, colorful glass panels that were surely available. The ordinary, humble panels are perfect... set in that circle of sort-of-turquoise, sort-of-green, sort-of-blue glass. Wow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much did you get for the bike?

Jerral Miles said...

Good Point... an Old English teacher should have caught peddling/pedaling mistake. I, like my bike, am getting rusty.