Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Today's photograph is a picture of a picture. Margaret and I visited her brother, Dale Martin (yesterday's picture), in the Alzheimer's section of the residential care facility where he lives. His daughter-in-law Anna has assembled a photo collage of Dale and his family. I particularly liked the 3 inch x 5 inch photograph of Dale and Angie, who became his wife a few months after the picture was taken in Brooklyn, New York.

I spent part of the evening yesterday and most of the morning today inside the Alzheimer’s section of the very good residential facility where Dale lives. I am ten years younger than he is, and I can easily remember him when he was the handsome young husband to Angie. Margaret remembers him when he was a handsome young sailor. These days he is having a difficult time remembering anything and anyone. Even with the ravages of Alzheimer’s scrambling his thoughts, he remembers enough to say often, “I have had a good life.”

No comments: