Friday, September 04, 2009

HORNWORMS AND “HUMMINGBIRD” MOTHS

Today Jeremy introduced me to a couple of creatures that appear to be completely different... different from most other living things I have seen and very different from each other, yet they are the same... just in different stages of their development. They are known as hornworms or tomato worms when they are in their caterpillar stage and “hummingbird” moths. After life as a big, fat worm, the creature buries itself a few inches below the surface of soft dirt and pupates, transforms itself into a hard, dark brown pupa, before finally emerging as a heavy-bodied, strong flying insect. I don’t know of any writer who can come up with a more fantastic transformation story.

After reading all about the hornworm and the moth it becomes, I was poking around the plants outside my porch and came across another moth. I wonder what it was like in its larva and pupa states.This little moth is about the size of a penny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.