Wednesday, February 25, 2009

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 25
North Park’s water tower at the corner of Howard Street and Idaho Street is the only one of its kind left in the city of San Diego. I like it for reasons I can’t explain. Perhaps it reminds me of the water tower I remember in the little town of Glenwood, Arkansas. Maybe it's because it makes me remember a bicycle trip across American when I saw water towers of towns in the middle of the country long before I saw the towns themselves. Perhaps it’s that it can be seen from a long way off, and anything that imposes itself on me from a great distance must be respected. Perhaps it’s accidental urban art that won’t be seen as important until its gone. Perhaps it’s that I think of the Eiffel Tower when I see it. Perhaps it’s that the water tower is old and so am I. If news comes in my lifetime that there are plans to take it down, I’ll organize a protest.

No comments: