Sunday, February 22, 2009

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 22FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, SAN DIEGO, is a structure whose architecture transcends its purpose. Cathedrals belong to the world, not just to the places where they happen to have been built. Like its cousins scattered around the world, like Salisbury Cathedral in England, for example, the San Diego church dominates the landscape. Just as I can't erase even in my imagination the 750-year-old cathedral from the Salisbury Plain, I can't imagine Mission Valley without its Methodist Church. The old Mission San Diego Alcala at the east end of the valley is a great place to visit, but it's not a commanding presence. Even the beautiful basilica at the University of San Diego on the hill at the western end of the valley is forgettable. I like both the inside and the outside of the Mission Valley Church and Salisbury Cathedral.

The back view of the church reminds me of a cave, a comfortable cave, a cave I don't mind entering. I started a piece of writing that I can't seem to finish, and it doesn't fit either the Mission Valley church or Salisbury Cathedral; but it's a reminder that some churches are frightening caves.

There are caves I’m afraid to go into
and rooms where I don’t want to go
no matter how lovely their doors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On one of our first trips to England I visited the Salisbury Cathedral. Judy and our friends had gone to high tea at one of the local hotels and I decided to wander through the town. It was wonderful. To walk toward that cathedral is amazing and the way it commands the space is certainly sacred. It seems larger than life, pointing somewhere unattainable but still inviting. As I walked into the cathedral their regionally famous boys choir was rehearsing for a concert to be held the following day. There was no organ accompaniment or musicians, just the incredible blend of boys voices singing ancient chants and Bach chorales. An icon is often described as a window through which you can begin to see a heavenly reality, their voices did the same for me that day, for a moment because of them I was transported well beyond the architecture to the archetype, a space which truly defines sacredness and sacred space. I remember it well, thanks for the memory!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jerral,
Taylor Hill's daughter, Laurie here. Salisbury Cathedral is indeed a very special place and my husband, Simon and I visited last year. We had a wonderful experience with our own personal tour by head Verger, Peter Wheatcroft, who is a very dear friend of some friends of ours. He took us through the Cathedral explaining everything so patiently and then took us up into the tower to see the eaves. The beams had to be seen to be believed. They were massive and ancient. The view from up there is pretty amazing, too! My favourite part of the whole thing was that a little, old lady somehow attached herself to our private tour and didn't figure out that it was private until about 10 minutes from then end. It was really quite sweet and of course, we were happy to have her along!

Jerral Miles said...

Laurie,
The great cathedrals of Europe are all worth a special trip.
Jerral

Anonymous said...

I've only managed to see Exeter and Truro Cathedral... you're right, there's all of Europe to explore and one day, I hope we will! Thanks, Jerral.